Wednesday, August 26, 2015

WIP Wednesday: Celebrity Out

The Barnacle has been home sick with a 104F fever, which means while I've had a few days at home I wouldn't normally have, they haven't exactly been productive. But if I ever end up on some sort of My Little Pony quiz show, I'm taking home the gold. *g*

She's better and back at school, and I'm heading in to work the closing shift at the library here in a few minutes. I've been so frazzled by our schedule upset that I totally forgot what day it actually was. Oops! Luckily, I remembered before I had to hop out for work.

This is the start of a WIP about two celebrities who have just filmed a movie together and are celebrating the successful wrap, which coincides with one of their birthdays. They're both in committed relationships, but find that they're on each other's celebrity out list. With their partners' permission and ecstatic encouragement (and I say that because I don't write infidelity, it's a total no-go for me, and I know it is for a lot of you, too) they find themselves together for a night.


Celebrity Out


I think the party's dying out, I'll just go with you.” There was no reason to stay if even Emma was going, though Douglas didn't understand why she was leaving her own home.

You’re staying here,” Jeff says, pursing his lips when Douglas frowns.

Doug, it’s your 39th birthday. You’ll be 40 next year. It’s alright to live it up a bit.”

He looks at him blankly, and Jeff shakes his head fondly.

You’re going to make me say it outright, aren’t you?” he says, a smile curving his lips despite his exasperated tone. “I didn’t set out planning this, you know. But Emma and I had the most enlightening conversation. Hugh Grant? Johnny Depp? Carter Lang? Ring any bells?”

Douglas sucks in a breath, eyes widening in horror as he realizes what Jeff is talking about. He and Jeff had heard something on the radio about celebrity out lists years ago, and they'd jokingly put one together. It had been well before Douglas had any success in the industry, back when he'd been a struggling actor going out to any casting call he remotely fit the bill for and working as an overnight stock clerk at a big box store to make ends meet. They hadn’t talked about it in years, though, and he’d thought–hoped–that Jeff had forgotten. It was awkward now that they actually knew some of the men on their lists.

Jeff, you can’t think that I’d –”

It’s what the list is for, Douglas,” Jeff says, and there’s no trace of bitterness or anger in his tone. He cups Douglas' cheeks with his palms, keeping his gaze trained on him. “It’s your birthday. My present to you. Enjoy.”

Douglas huffs out a laugh, hardly believing they’re having this conversation. Because it sounds like Jeff is telling him he can have an affair with Carter as his birthday present, which is absolutely insane.

And here I thought you’d get me that watch I’ve been eyeing,” he says, trying for humor. There was no way Jeff was being serious. They'd been together for more than ten years and Douglas hadn't strayed once in all that time, and he was sure Jeff hadn't either. Why would he throw that away now?

No, we’re giving you the man you’ve been eyeing. That’s far better than any old watch, isn’t it?” Emma's comment takes Douglas by surprise, and he jumps. Only Jeff’s hands, which are still on his cheeks, keep him from whirling around. He’s suddenly sober as a judge, and he can feel a cold sweat prickle down his back. Jeff pulls him forward, pressing a kiss to his rigid lips, and then releases him. He stumbles a bit, backing up a step until he hits the wall behind him. Which is fine, until the wall moves and he realizes it’s Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips